IT’S OK TO BE CONFUSED
TRY TO EXPRESS YOURSELF
ASK FOR HELP
BE KIND TO YOURSELF
ACCEPT THE HEALING PROCESS
What Can I Do?
- Give me a hug
- Arrange for me to get help if I am feeling I can’t cope or if I am not talking to you
- Allow me to be on my own but talk to me if you are worried if I am not eating or sleeping well or if I have other difficulties
- Talk to me about the funeral and how I can be involved
- Talk to me about the court case and what will happen
- Talk to me about prison
- Make sure schools knows about what’s happened, so they can give me support too
- Help me make a memory box
- Remind me this is not my fault and encourage me to talk if I feel ashamed or guilty
- Help me keep in touch with friends or teachers from my old school
- Help me to have some fun and laugh so I don’t feel upset all the time
- Arrange for me to have extra help at school if I am finding it hard to concentrate or if I am falling behind
- Help me to join a club, group or activity so I don’t feel so lonely and have something to look forward to
- Help me keep my good memories alive by talking about them
What Can We Do?
- We can talk to you about ways to feel better and safe.
- We can talk about the future.
- We can talk to your carers if you are worried about anything or if you struggle to tell them something.
- We can give you ideas for a memory box.
- We can give you advice on how to look after yourself.
- We can talk about the person or people you have lost.
- You can tell us about anything you didn’t have a chance to say to them.
- We can speak to your school and help them to support you.
- We can explore feelings in different ways.
- You can ask us to help you and we will do our best to support you.
- We can discuss your rights as a child.
- We can encourage you to do activities and grow your friendships so you do not feel alone.
- We can support your carers.
- We can set up a time for you to chat to other children who have been through a similar experience.
- We will listen to your ideas or thoughts for anything else we may not have mentioned.